Whole Grain Pasta with Peas
Makes 4 -6 servings
Harvest season is finally here, and fresh green peas are bountiful! Peas are little nutritional power packed veggies; containing an excellent source of vitamin C, folate, thiamine, fiber, and antioxidants. Eating in season helps your local farmers and your local economy.
- 4 cups green peas
- 1/2 onion, white
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil & oregano
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups of whole grain fusilli pasta, cooked al dente
1. Shuck your fresh peas into a bowl.
2. Chop the onions and sauté them in 2 tbsp of olive oil in a stock pot on med heat until translucent.
3. Add in the garlic, fresh peas, and vegetable stock, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add your al dente pasta shells to the pot, and throw in your fresh herbs.
Done! It’s that easy!…but so fresh and delicious!
The addition of the fresh herbs is not only nutritious but also helps cut down on the use of sodium.
Nutrients per serving
Calories (kcal) 203.9
Fat (g) 5.6
Protein (g) 7.5
Carbohydrate (g) 30.8
Sugar (g) 5.1
Fibre (g) 2.8
Food guide equivalents per serving
Vegetables and Fruit 3.0
Grain Products 0.9
Meat and Alternatives 0.0
Milk and Alternatives 0.0